First Impressions

Flying into Santiago, Chile
Two weeks ago today Jean Pierre and I arrived in Lima. I didn't really know what to expect as I had heard mixed reviews about Peru and was told that the city of Lima in particular is unsafe, unclean and unappealing. Upon leaving the airport, my first impression was that it had both a Bangkok and Dubai sort of feel to it. The big highways reminded me a lot of the long roads in Dubai, while the street sellers and noisy traffic made me think of Thailand.

JP lives in San Isidro, the financial district of Lima. He is within walking distance to the shops and only 10 min from the city's 'hot spots'. There are some beautiful parks close to his house and people often greet each other in passing. Interestingly, at night a policeman patrols the area to make sure that everything is under control. Majority of the houses in his street have a large wooden garage door and appear to be similar in their layout. Some have electric fences and others have very pointy picket fences. Overall, it seems to be a pretty peaceful neighbourhood and is very clean too.

The day we arrived JP informed methat there would be a party at his house the following day to celebrate his dad's birthday. It was only going to be a small gathering with a few of his close family members. I was excited to try Peruvian food and to enjoy some Latin American music. Apparently a 'small' party means 30+ people, a live band, disco lights, enough food for a feast, and dancing...all night long...without breaks. I'm talking from 4 o'clock in the afternoon until 1 a.m. the next morning. Unfortunately the jet lag kicked in early and we were both in bed by about 9 p.m. Despite the fact that I missed out on half of the night, it was a party I will never forget. The atmosphere was so happy and full of laughter and smiles.

JP's street in San Isidro
Hopefully this blog gives you some more insight into my experience here in Peru and a greater understanding of the country itself.

Hope you are all well! :)

Ashleigh

0 comments:

Post a Comment